On a cool sunny January afternoon, the Raleigh/Wake County and Tar Heel Branches took their place at a table along Halifax Mall as thousands of women marched in the streets around the Legislative Building in downtown Raleigh. People were gathered to listen as women spoke on the theme “Women Protecting the Future” amidst sign waving, chanting, and cheering. This was the fourth Women’s March in Raleigh and there was no doubt that people had come to make their voices heard. There were women of all ages, a smattering of dogs on leashes, and even a few men intermingled in the crowds. Everyone was there to make the statement that 2020 may again be “The Year of the Woman!” Speakers highlighted advocacy work, heralded the ERA success in Virginia and celebrated the upcoming 100th anniversary of the passage of the Woman’s Right to Vote this fall. As the song says: We are women, hear us roar!
Those at the table highlighted
- AAUW WorkSmart — free, online salary negotiation workshops — salary.aauw.org
- The Fall 2029 Simple Truth about the Gender Pay Gap — especially page 4, strategies to combat the pay gap
More pay equity resources: www.aauw.org/issues/economic-justice/
- Information on AAUW Reports — a premiere source of gender equity information for nearly 30 years
- Information on AAUW Fellowships and Awards — one of the largest sources of financial aid to graduate student women as well as funding those changing careers and improving their communities.
- An overview of AAUW and AAUW projects and priorities
We hope you’ll join us!
- Join AAUW Raleigh/Wake County – through 6/30/2020
- Join AAUW Tar Heel (a statewide, virtual branch) – through 6/30/2020
- Join both at a special rate through 6/30/2021: tarheel.aauwnc.org/join-march